Registration and Scheduling

Every student who makes use of the instructional staff and facilities of the university must register and pay fees. This rule also applies to students who are clearing incomplete grades, clearing for graduation, or working on graduate theses. The university calendar lists the dates for registration and late registration/schedule adjustment. Students are urged, and depending on the curriculum may be required, to seek guidance from their advisers before attempting to register for classes, and they are urged to register during their assigned registration period. Students should register for courses during the term preceding the term they plan to attend. When registering, the student is responsible for observing course pre-requisites or co-requisites. Any waiver of these requirements must be approved by the department head or, in some cases, the dean. Waiver of the junior standing pre-requisite for courses that may be taken for graduate credit must have the Graduate School dean’s approval. The dean may reduce a student’s class load. Students may register for classes via the web through the 5th university class day in Spring and Fall semesters, and through the 2nd university class day during full Summer term. Students may register for classes after the close of student web registration only with the approval of the college, school or department offering the course. No student without a course schedule will be allowed to register after the 15th day of classes during Fall or Spring or after the 10th day of classes in the full Summer term without the approval of the provost.

Permission To Register

All students must have a username and a password prior to participating in registration, late registration or schedule adjustment. All registration holds must be cleared prior to the start of registration to avoid delays in registration.

Undergraduate Transient Students

An Auburn student may take courses at another institution on a transient basis on a term-by-term basis. In order to do so, students must first fill out the transient form online or via the PDF form. All students are encouraged to meet with their academic advisor prior to completing a transient form.

  • To access the online transient form you will need to first log into AU Access. 
  • On the “My Academics” tab, go to the “Registration and Advising” section.
  • From the available options, choose "Transient Enrollment for Auburn Students at Other Institutions."
  • Read the Transient Enrollment Guidelines carefully. The online form may not be appropriate for every situation.
  • Choose the term, state, institution, and courses you wish to take courses as a transient student.
  • When the correct courses are listed, click "Proceed to Transient Form." Once the form is approved, it will be mailed to your AU email address.
  • Email or hand deliver the form to the institution you plan to attend.

Collegiate work will be considered for transfer credit from post-secondary institutions that are accredited by one of the six accrediting associations listed below. It is the responsibility of the student to determine the accreditation status of any institution where they intend to take courses as a transient student.

  1. Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools
  2. Higher Learning Commission
  3. New England Association of Schools and Colleges
  4. Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities
  5. Southern Association of Colleges and Schools
  6. Western Association of Schools and Colleges, Senior Colleges and Junior Colleges

Students will be given transfer credit for those approved courses listed on the Transient Form provided a grade of D or better is earned (with the exception of courses which require a C or better such as English Composition). All earned grades will be listed on the student’s Auburn record.

Students may not take courses for transfer credit while on suspension or dismissal from AU. Additionally, students may not enroll in courses at another institution for which they have not met the AU prerequisites if the intent is to transfer these courses back to AU. Students can not receive transfer credit from another institution for an AU course where the Grade Adjustment Policy has been applied.


Year Completed Hours
Sophomore completed 30 hours and is in the 31st to 60th credit hour
Junior completed 60 hours and is in the 61st to 90th credit hour
Senior completed 90 hours and is in the 91st hour or higher

The codes for identifying the classification of students are as follows: FR, Freshman; SO, Sophomore; JR, Junior; SR, Senior; 5YR, fifth year; UND, undergraduate non-degree students; UPR, undergraduate provisional; MST, master's; EDS, educational specialist; EDD, doctor of education; PHD, doctor of philosophy; GPR, graduate provisional; GND, graduate non-degree; P1, first-year professional; P2, second-year professional; P3, third-year professional; and P4, fourth-year professional.

A student with a baccalaureate degree who undertakes a program for a second bachelor’s degree will be classified as an undergraduate.

Undergraduate Course Load Policy 

An undergraduate must enroll for 12 or more hours during a semester or summer term to be considered full-time for athletic, financial aid, loan and insurance purposes. The maximum load for students in undergraduate curricula is 18 hours during the semester, 7 semester hours during the 5-week session, and 14 hours during the 10-week session or any combination of summer sessions.

The maximum load may be exceeded under the following circumstances:

On approval of the student's dean, students may schedule overloads not to exceed 22 hours during the semester or 17 hours during the summer terms or 9 hours during a 5-week session. To be eligible for an overload, students must have passed all work attempted and earned a GPA of 2.5 or higher during their last semester at Auburn University in which they carried 15 or more hours (10 or more in their last summer). In determining whether to approve an overload exceeding these hour limits, the student’s academic dean will consider the student’s academic history, including grades and the number of courses taken in the past. Deans (or their designees) must seek approval from the provost’s designee for overloads greater than the limit of 22 hours during the semester or 17 hours during the summer terms or 9 hours during a 5-week session.

International Students are required to be enrolled as full-time students during the academic year and are subject to special full-time enrollment regulations. They may NOT drop below the full-time course loads without prior written authorization from the Office of International Programs. Dropping below full course loads without prior Office of International Programs (OIP) approval can subject international students to termination of their immigration status therefore international students and academic advisors must check with OIP PRIOR TO modifying full-time course loads for international students.