Academic Progress

Incomplete Grades

A grade of “incomplete” must be removed within the following six months or it will be recorded permanently as an F and the course will have to be repeated. This applies regardless of the student’s enrollment status. A student not enrolled during the following six months is not exempt from this rule. No student may graduate until “incomplete” and “no record” grades are removed, and the removal must be completed at least three weeks before the date of graduation, regardless of whether the course is included on the Plan of Study.

Back to top


To receive a graduate degree at Auburn University, a student must earn a cumulative GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale on all courses carrying graduate credit. No more than nine hours beyond the student’s Plan of Study is allowed in obtaining the cumulative graduate GPA (CGGPA). No grade below C (including unsatisfactory grades for courses taken under the S/U option) is acceptable for credit toward a graduate degree. Each graduate course in which a grade below C is received must be repeated at Auburn University whether or not it is listed on the student’s Plan of Study. Both the original grade and the grade for the repeated course will be counted in calculating the CGGPA. Course credits transferred from another institution may not be used to satisfy this requirement. Courses retaken will not count against the nine-hour limit beyond the student’s Plan of Study in obtaining the minimum CGGPA.

Back to top

Academic Standing

Only grades in Auburn University courses approved for graduate credit will be used in determining the overall GPA for continuation in the Graduate School.  If at the end of any semester the cumulative graduate GPA (CGGPA) falls below 3.0, the student will be placed on academic probation.  If the CGGPA remains below 3.0 after the next eleven credit hours of graduate enrollment (both graded and ungraded) or two consecutive terms (whichever comes first), the student will be placed on academic suspension.*  Students on academic suspension may not hold a graduate assistantship.  The student may be readmitted only after completion of a remediation plan recommended by the academic unit and approved by the Dean of the Graduate School.  Course work taken as part of the remediation plan must be completed within two consecutive terms  and may count toward both the student’s degree and CGGPA with the recommendation  of the department head and the approval of the graduate dean.*  Upon completion of the remediation plan, the student must have addressed academic deficiencies and have a CGGPA of 3.0 or above. Once approved by the graduate dean, remediation plans may not be amended or extended beyond the original deadline.  If a student fails to complete the remediation plan as approved or if the student earns a grade of C or below while completing the remediation plan, the student will be dismissed from the Graduate School and the designation ACADEMIC DISMISSAL will be placed on the student’s official record.

*The summer term is counted as one of the consecutive semesters only if a student is enrolled during the summer term.

Back to top


The dean of the Graduate School is the general counselor to all graduate students. A faculty advisor or major professor will be designated for each student in accordance with departmental policy. There also will be an advisory committee for each student. The major professor generally serves as the chair of the advisory committee. In the case of co-chairs, at least one must be a member of the graduate faculty at the appropriate level at Auburn University. Some required forms and reports regarding the student’s program must be approved by the major professor, advisory committee, department head or chair and the dean of the Graduate School. Students should ascertain which signatures must be obtained.

Back to top

Academic and Professional Progress

Monitoring the academic progress of graduate students and graduate teaching assistants on a regular basis is important to their success and to the success of Auburn’s graduate programs.  The Graduate School requires that each department conduct — at least on an annual basis — an evaluation of the progress of each graduate student enrolled in a doctoral program and each Graduate Teaching Assistant (GTA).  Departments are also encouraged to monitor the progress of all other degree-seeking students.  Annually, each department will report to the Graduate School, confirming that the evaluation of all doctoral students and GTAs has been completed. 

The student’s advisory committee monitors each graduate student’s progress toward a degree, and issues of professional and personal development may be considered.  While failure to maintain academic standards is reason for dismissal, a student also may be dismissed from the Graduate School if progress is unsatisfactory in other areas.

In such cases, the advisory committee will prepare a statement of grievance and discuss it in a meeting with the student.  The statement must have the unanimous support of all members of the committee.  The student will be warned that corrective measures must be taken within a specified time to avoid action that might result in dismissal.  The committee determines the period allowed for correction.  Copies of the statement of grievance and summary of the meeting will be provided to the student, the department head/chair, and the academic dean.

If the deficiency is not corrected within the time allowed by the committee, a statement reiterating the grievance and recommending dismissal should be sent to the graduate dean with copies to the student, the department head/chair, and the academic dean.

The graduate dean will give the student an opportunity to respond and will make a final determination.  The student and the advisory committee will be notified.

The action taken will not appear on the student’s official transcript, and release of information is restricted under the University’s policy on the confidentiality of student records.

Back to top

Academic Requirements for Students in the Professional Program of Veterinary Medicine

All applicants and students in the professional program are subject to the academic and disciplinary regulations of the College of Veterinary Medicine in addition to those of Auburn University.

Any student who earns less than a 2.25 GPA for any term will be placed on academic probation (academic warning). A student who fails to earn a 2.25 GPA in each of the succeeding two terms of enrollment will be dropped from the rolls of the College of Veterinary Medicine for scholastic deficiency.  In addition, a student who does not have a veterinary college cumulative average of 2.25 at the end of any academic year will be required to withdraw from the College of Veterinary Medicine.

Any student who receives a D in any course will be placed on academic probation.  If the student receives a second D in the same calendar year or academic year, they will be required to withdraw from the College of Veterinary Medicine.

A student will be removed from academic probation after two terms, assuming they have met the terms of probation.

A student who makes a grade of F in any course will be required to withdraw from the College of Veterinary Medicine.  If a student who is dismissed for academic reasons is re-admitted, they may be required to repeat additional courses as deemed necessary by the Admissions and Standards Committee. 

Clinical courses are unique in that the art and skills to be developed in them can be acquired only through full participation in the laboratories.  Attendance in these courses is required except in case of illness or other extenuating circumstances as may be judged by the involved instructor. Grading in these clinical laboratory courses is primarily by subjective evaluation.  When a course involves student rotation through several disciplines or sections, the student must receive a passing grade in each area before a passing grade can be given for the course.

Any student who earns a D or F in any clinical rotation will be placed on academic probation.  If the student receives a second F during clinical rotations, that student will be required to withdraw from the College of Veterinary Medicine.  If the student receives a second and third D or F during clinical rotations, that student will be required to withdraw from the College of Veterinary Medicine.  If the college admissions and standards committee permits re-admission, the student may be required to repeat all clinical experiences to meet the requirements for the clinical year.

Back to top

Student Athletes

In addition to meeting the general academic requirements of the university, student athletes must meet all academic requirements, including those relating to satisfactory progress toward a degree, set forth in the legislation of the Southeastern Conference (SEC) and of the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA).

Back to top

Student Financial Aid Recipients

In addition to meeting the general academic requirements of the university, applicants for student financial aid funds must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress to receive, or to continue to receive, assistance through federal, state, and institutional student aid programs. Descriptions of these Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements for distinct classifications of Auburn students are available from the Office of Student Financial Services.

Back to top


Veterans’ Assistance

Veteran students and/or their dependents may qualify for Federal VA Education benefits. To determine eligibility, contact the VA Education Center at 1-888-442-4551.   

Application Procedures:

  1. For veterans or dependents of disabled veterans, apply online at or

Enrollment Certification for Federal VA Education Benefits

  1. Auburn University Veterans Resource Center (VRC) must have all appropriate documents stating student’s eligibility for Federal VA Education benefits. List of required forms is available on the VRC website:
  2. Only courses required for student’s declared major at Auburn University will be certified to the VA. 
  3. Repeat courses to obtain a better passing grade will not be certified to the VA.
  4. Additional electives not required for student’s declared degree plan will be certified to the VA.
  5. Minors not required as part of my program of study will not be certified to the VA.
  6. Students must attend all classes in which he/she is enrolled. Any change in enrollment (add/drop classes, major changes) will be reported to the VA.
  7. Class beginning and ending dates, as well as the number of credit hours registered, have a direct impact on the student’s monthly housing allowance (BAH).
  8. If a student wishes to not be certified for a particular semester, students will notify the VRC via email before beginning of term at

Federal VA Education Benefits:

  • Application Procedures:
  • GI Bill®️ Programs
    • Chapter 30: Montgomery GI Bill®️ (MGIB-AD)
      • This program of education benefits is generally for individuals who enter active duty for the first time after June 30, 1985, and have contributed to the College Fund
    • Chapter 31: Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment (VR&E)
      • Disabled veterans may be eligible for VR&E. Please contact a counselor for further information at (334) 396-1986
    • Chapter 33: Post 9/11
      • This program is for individuals who have served on active duty on or after September 10, 2001. This benefit is transferable to eligible dependents
    • Chapter 35: Dependents Education Assistance (DEA)
      • Children or spouses of disabled veterans may be eligible for education assistance if the veteran died while in service, dies as a result of a service-connect disability, or became permanently and totally disabled as a result of a service-connected disability.
    • Chapter 1606: Montgomery GI Bill®️-Select Reserve (MGIB-SR)
      • Members of the Select Reserves and National Guard who enlisted, re-enlisted, or exhausted his/her enlistment period of six years after 1 July 1985 may be eligible for this program

Priority Registration:

Priority Registration is given to groups of students who fall under certain categories, including veterans.  The priority status must be recognized by the Registrar’s Office when the time tickets are set in order for the student’s special registration status to be activated.

Back to top